Take action for people and creation by supporting corporate accountability

Like you, we want everyone to be able to live healthy and dignified lives wherever they are. We are concerned that the harm caused to people and creation by some Canadian companies’ overseas operations can get in the way of this goal. From MCC partners around the world, we hear stories about water contamination, forced displacement, poor labour practices, a lack of informed free, prior and informed consent, among other challenges, in areas where Canadian companies and their supply chains are active. There are currently few avenues of support for those impacted by Canadian companies to address these concerns in Canada. 

If passed, these two recently released bills in Parliament will help to resolve some of these issues.

Bill C-262An Act respecting the corporate responsibility to prevent, address and remedy adverse impacts on human rights occurring in relation to business activities conducted abroad, would require companies to review all their business activities, identify actual and potential risks to people and the planet, take steps to mitigate the risks and ensure those who are harmed receive reparations. This is called human rights and environmental due diligence. 

Bill C-263An Act to establish the Office of the Commissioner for Responsible Business Conduct Abroad and to make consequential amendments to other Acts, would invest the Canadian Ombudsperson for Responsible Enterprise (CORE) with the powers needed to hold Canadian companies accountable for their actions internationally. Effectively, when the government created CORE, it was in name only. Without powers to order the production of documents and compel witness testimony under oath, the CORE can't do its job. Bill C-263 would change that. 

James 4 encourages Christians to care for workers and to be wary of greed. Asking all political parties to support these two bills are clear ways you can make a difference for people and for creation by encouraging corporate accountability in Canada.

 Send a letter to your MP today