This fall, give buckets full of hope.
This year is one we couldn't have imagined. With more than 100 million people displaced worldwide, global needs quickly become overwhelming. But many of us have much to be thankful for and to contribute. Will you join us in showing gratitude this Thanksgiving with a Bucket of Thanks?
But what is a Bucket of Thanks, you ask?
It's a container filled with essential hygiene items, also known as a relief kit. This year, there is an increased demand for supplies to send to Ukraine and other countries where families find themselves in situations of conflict or displacement.
How do I get involved?
Attend a relief kit packing event at a date, time and location that works for you!
Winnipeg Material Resources Centre, 134 Plaza Drive:
- Thursday, October 13, 6:30 - 8:00 pm
- Sunday, October 16, 2:00 - 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 18, 6:30 - 8:00 pm
Plum Coulee Material Resources Warehouse, 231 Railway Ave:
- Friday, October 14, 4:30 - 7:30 pm
What to expect at a kit packing event
Sign up to volunteer on a date and at a location that works for you. You’ll receive an email reminder with more details, closer to your chosen packing date.
When you arrive, you’ll receive a brief tutorial on how to pack a relief kit. Then, your group will be encouraged to get started! While you pack, you will learn about the impact of your tangible support with a story or two about relief kit distribution.
Donations will be gratefully accepted to cover the supply costs of a relief bucket ($60), but are not required. Everyone is welcome!
OR give on your own time
What exactly goes into a relief bucket?
A relief bucket should include:
- 4 large bars bath soap (leave in wrapper)
- Shampoo (1 or 2 bottles, totalling more than 600 ml; place in a resealable plastic bag)
- 4 large bars laundry soap (such as Sunlight®, Fels Naptha®, or Zote® brands)
- 4 adult-sized toothbrushes (in manufacturer’s packaging)
- 4 new bath towels (medium weight, dark or bright colours; approx. 75 cm x 150 cm)
- 2 wide-toothed combs (15–20 cm)
- 1 nail clipper (good quality)
- 1 box adhesive bandages (minimum 40, assorted)
- Sanitary pads
Items we cannot accept:
- Face towels/cloths
- Hotel/mini bar soap
- Full nail care kits or nail files
- Hair conditioner
- Panty liners
- Personal notes or family photos
- Child size/small toothbrushes
- Men’s pocket combs
- Travel size toothpaste
- Powdered laundry detergent