On Saturday, July 1st participate or support a cyclist in the 35km Cycle Clear Lake fundraising event that tackles the trail encircling Clear Lake in Riding Mountain National Park. Proceeds from this event provide holistic education to vulnerable children and youth in Haiti.
The major part of the trail is a single track through the boreal forest along the lakeshore, but portions of the trail will be pavement or gravel. Riders will cross between Clear Lake and South Lake. Along the north shore is an easier route for most cyclists, as well as a technical route (with a number of climbs) for experienced cyclists. The trail has many fantastic vistas across the lake, as the route goes up and down the ravines.
The trail requires a reasonable amount of fitness and cycling experience. Average cyclists can expect to take 3-4 hours to do the circuit.
The ride begins Saturday at 8:30am at Camp Kippechewin, where the cyclathon has been held most years. Refreshments will be served along the cyclathon route, and the event will end with a barbecue and prizes, starting at 12:30pm.
How to Participate
- Register here, and then pay the $35 fee online. A sponsor and information sheet will be forwarded as soon as we receive your registration and fee.
- If you would like to complete your registration by mail please print the form and send it with your $35 registration fee by cheque made payable to Cycle Clear Lake and mail to Reinhold Kramer, 43 Noonan Drive, Brandon, MB R7B 0V6.
- Raise pledges in support of the selected project. All riders must raise a minimum of $200 in support. Collect the pledges in advance and submit them on or before the event. Make cheques payable to MCC Manitoba. Pledges can also be made online.
- Meet at Camp Kippechewin between 7:30-8:30am, Saturday, July 1, where there will be time for you to register on-site, deposit your pledges, and obtain an ID.
- Enjoy the ride, rest stops, snacks, and the final barbeque at 12:30pm at Camp Kippechewin.
- Use an MCC registry for your fundraising.
Registration Deadline: June 13, 2017
Barbecue: Attendance of additional friends at the BBQ is $7/person.
Camping: A group camp site has been reserved at Camp Kippechewin for all three nights of the long weekend (June 30 - July 2). The cost is $6/person per night or $12/family per night.
Education in Haiti
By supporting a rider—or by jumping on a bike yourself—you're changing lives of children and youth in Haiti, like Saint-il Viergela who has found opportunity in a vocational training program at MCC's partner TIMKATEC.
What to Bring
- Mountain bike or bike with hybrid tires
- Helmet (mandatory)
- Water bottle
- Lawn chair
- Insect repellent
- Sponsor sheets and sponsors' money/cheques