Each Tuesday and Thursday afternoon approximately 8-10 women gather in the gym at Grand Valley Institute (GVI) for women to design and sew comforters used by MCC in our relief work.
A safe and welcoming place within GVI is created, relationships are built and volunteers gain a deeper understand of women who are doing time within our federal justice system.
- Security clearance check by Correctional Service of Canada required
- Institutional training day at GVI required
- Some sewing skills an asset
- Good listening skills
- Ability to work within a correctional framework
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work alongside another volunteer and a group of women designing and creating comforters.
- Listening for opportunities for conversations as appropriate
- 1 afternoon per month, approximate 3 ½ hours
- at least 1 year
Training and Development offered
- Position specific orientation will be provided within GVI
- Job shadowing and training meetings offered as available
- Other training and skills development
- Volunteer liability coverage for all volunteers
All MCC volunteers are expected to respect the MCC mission statement: Mennonite Central Committee (MCC), a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, shares God's love and compassion for all in the name of Christ by responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. MCC envisions communities worldwide in right relationship with God, one another and creation.