Circle of Friends supports individuals and families as they transition from homelessness and shelter-living back into the K-W community. It is a program of Mennonite Central Committee Ontario that is offered in partnership with YWCA Kitchener-Waterloo and STEP Home (Support to end persistent homelessness).
Skills/ Knowledge/ Attitude Requirements:
- Must be over the age of 18
- Patience, open-mindedness and friendliness are assets
- Application including references required
- Police check for vulnerable sector verification required
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work with a small group of volunteers (Circle of Friends) to support one person and his/her family as they transition out of homelessness. Circles meet as a group once a week. Circle meetings might include going out for coffee, creating a budget, accessing a food bank, attending a fitness class, etc.
- approximately 2 hours per week
- a one year commitment is requested
Training and Development offered:
- Position specific orientation will be provided
- Optional trainings for volunteers are offered on an ongoing basis
- Policy and procedure manual available at all times
- Volunteer liability coverage for all volunteers
All MCC volunteers are expected to respect the MCC mission statement: Mennonite Central Committee (MCC), a worldwide ministry of Anabaptist churches, shares God's love and compassion for all in the name of Christ by responding to basic human needs and working for peace and justice. MCC envisions communities worldwide in right relationship with God, one another and creation.