From Syria to South Sudan, extreme hunger is a growing threat, and the calls for emergency assistance are multiplying. The conflict in Ukraine – a major food producer, particularly for sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East – has disrupted global food supplies. That, combined with other factors like flooding and the worst drought in 40 years in East Africa, is leading to rising food prices and a global hunger crisis.
With your support, MCC is responding to these increasing needs in countries around the world. We are providing emergency food for families in countries like the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, South Sudan and Zimbabwe. And our largest food relief projects continue to be in Syria and Lebanon, and food assistance is a significant part of our work in Ukraine in response to the invasion.
Learn more about the Hunger crisis and MCC’s response:
- The complex realities of a global hunger crisis: a Q&A with MCC’s director of disaster response
- Podcast episode: The hunger crisis with guest Andy Harrington from CFGB
- Video: How climate change is affecting farmers
Prayer and worship resources:
- Prayer: For those who are hungry (Canadian Foodgrains Bank)
- Prayer: For those living with poverty and hunger (Canadian Foodgrains Bank)
- Praying through the hunger crisis (Canadian Foodgrains Bank)
A prayer by Rebecca Mosley, an MCC representative for Ethiopia: