Thank you for considering a legacy gift to MCC!
Legacy giving involves important and sometimes complicated decisions. MCC staff in our provincial offices have many years of experience helping our generous supporters align their deeply-held beliefs, values and priorities with the work of MCC. We‘re happy to help you explore how a planned gift to MCC can fit in with your life plan!
Two of the most popular ways to give through your legacy are cash and property:
Gifts of cash
Cash gifts are often the simplest option and can be used immediately. Leaving a gift of cash in your will becomes a gift from your estate and is processed by your executor after you pass away.
Some practical benefits to leaving a legacy gift of cash:
- There are no costs to you during your lifetime.
- You can identify the amount that suits you, either a percentage or a specific dollar amount.
- It's an effective way to reduce the tax bill on your estate.
Gifts of property
Perhaps you have a real estate asset you’d prefer to donate rather than turn into cash. You can receive a tax benefit during your lifetime while continuing to use the property until you pass away. Property can also be described and left in your will.
Some considerations to leaving a legacy gift of property:
- You can receive a potential income tax charitable deduction for fair market value while the full value of your gift can be used by MCC.
- A gift of property does not have to be real estate. Other gifts-in-kind can be considered, like other forms of personal property, art objects, jewelry items, intellectual property and cultural property items.
- Gifts of foreign real estate cannot be accepted. MCC has the right to refuse a gift, particularly if there are unacceptable liabilities attached to the gift.
All funds received through cash or property legacy gifts are used for MCC programming in areas where they’re most needed at the time.
You can leave a legacy that will make a difference in the lives of many people around the world! Contact us now to get started.
Return to the main legacy giving page.