In order to help a broader audience comprehend the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM), the office of the Secretary-General Special Representative for International Migration recently released these notes. They encourage all to use social media to help spread positive messaging about the GCM. Help us spread the word!

 

  • The Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration is the culmination of over 18 months of intensive consultations and negotiations, involving governments and other actors including civil society and the private sector. It is the first-ever global agreement on a common approach to international migration in all its dimensions.

 

  • The GCM is a reflection of a global need for evidence-based policies and greater international cooperation on migration in order to better harness its undoubted benefits and mitigate its challenges.  Grounded in values of state sovereignty, non-discrimination and human rights, it reaffirms principles and obligations from existing international law instruments, and identifies best practices.

 

  • The GCM represents an historic opportunity to strengthen the contribution of migrants and migration to sustainable development. Migrants work, pay taxes and spend 85 % of their income in the local economy. They send to their home country an average of 15% of their income in the form of what are called “remittances”. Last year, these remittances to developing countries amounted to some 450 Billion US$, 3 times the amount of official development assistance. (Even irregular migrants contribute to their host economies, for example, through the payment of taxes and regular consumption.)

 

  • The GCM is global (privileges no region), forward-looking (puts in place a framework for the future), and comprehensive (addresses migration in all its dimensions and takes into account the needs of governments, communities and migrants).  It does not encourage migration nor discourage it. It emphasizes the fact that migration is best done in a safe, orderly and regular manner- not only for migrants, but for the host communities, transit and destination countries as well.

 

  • The GCM comprises 23 objectives covering the entire narrative arc of migration -- from the factors that compel people to move, to the need for better data to support evidence-based policies, to enhancing availability of legal pathways, to promoting ethical recruitment and labour standards, to combatting trafficking and clamping down on smuggling, to saving lives and better managing borders, to harness the contributions migrants make to development, to strengthening consular services and international cooperation to facilitating safe and dignified returns.

 

  • This intergovernmental conference to adopt the GCM in Marrakech on 10-11 December will be a historic moment where the international community will come together at the highest level to mark a new beginning for the treatment of migrants and the management of international migration worldwide. We are encouraging Member States to arrive with proposals for delivering against the objectives embedded in the GCM.  The role of other actors -- civil society, the private sector, youth, and migrants – will also be pivotal.

 

  • To ensure effective, coordinated system-wide support from the UN system to Member States in carrying out the objectives agreed to in the GCM, the Secretary-General has established a UN Network on Migration, which will be coordinated by IOM and draw from the expertise of other relevant entities.

 

Sample Tweets:

The Global Compact #ForMigration is a reflection of a #global need for evidence-based #policies and greater international cooperation on #migration in order to better harness its undoubted benefits and mitigate its challenges.

 

Grounded in values of state sovereignty, non-discrimination & human rights, the Global Compact #ForMigration is first-ever global #agreement on a common approach to international #migration in all its dimensions. It reaffirms principles from existing international law instruments

 

The Global Compact #ForMigration represents an historic opportunity to strengthen the contribution of migrants and migration to sustainable development. Migrants work, pay taxes and spend 85 % of their income in the local economy. They send to their home country the remaining 15%

 

#Migrants spend 85% of their income in the local economy. They send home the remaining 15% in the form of what are called “remittances”. Last year, these #remittances to developing countries amounted to 450 Billion US$, 3 times the amount of official #development assistance

 

The Global Compact #ForMigration comprises 23 objectives covering all aspects of #migration, including evidence-based policies, enhancing availability of legal #pathways, promoting ethical labor standards, combatting #trafficking and facilitating dignified returns

 

The intergovernmental conference to adopt the Global Compact #ForMigration will be a historic moment where the international community will come together to mark a new beginning for the treatment of #migrants. Click here for more details: http://www.un.org/en/conf/migration/

 

There are over 258 #million migrants in the world today. The Global Compact #ForMigration provides an important breakthrough in the collective efforts to address the challenges and opportunities of human mobility. Want to know more? Click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL87BK5OSz8