Recipe by Olga Justiniano Pimentel
In Montero, Bolivia, MCC partner El Comedor de Niños (which has two children’s community centers and whose name translates to The Children’s Dining Room) provides care for children and workshops for adults. Training courses help develop skills in areas like cooking, baking, hairdressing and electricity. The Comedor also provides teaching in nutrition, health and self-esteem, including promoting recipes such as this one. Read more about how this training is changing the lives of women and their families.
MCC photo/Matthew Sawatzky
Ver la receta en español más abajo.
Salpicón generally means “cocktail salad” and while in some countries it can be a type of fruit salad, in Bolivia it specifically refers to a chicken dish such as this one.
- 1 cup cooked soybeans (optional)
- 1 pound of shredded (pulled) cooked chicken breast (cooked in water with
onion, parsley, garlic and salt)
- 1 ½ cups squash with peel, cooked in water for a few minutes and thickly shredded
- 1 ¾ cups carrot, shredded
- 1 ½ cups cabbage, finely chopped
- Chopped celery stalks, to taste
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 7 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt, to taste
Mix everything together and serve cold. The dish is more attractive when served with lettuce and decorated with tomatoes. It is often served with white rice.
MCC photo/Rebeca Suárez Saucedo
This recipe was provided by MCC Bolivia representatives Leidy Muñoz and her husband Nathan Toews and is from the book, Comedor de niños Etta Turner – Recipe book 2010: cheap and nutritious recipes.
- 1 taza de granos de soya cocida
- 1/2 k de pechuga de pollo cocida (en agua, cebolla, perejil, ajo y sal) y desmenuzada
- 1 1/2 taza de cáscara de zapallo (cocida en agua por algunos minutos) y rallada grueso
- 1 3/4 taza de zanahoria rallada
- 1 1/2 taza de repollo picado fino
- tallos de apio picado, a gusto
- 1 taza de cebolla finamente picada
- 3 cucharas de perejil
- 7 cucharas de maionesa
- sal a gusto
Mezclar todo y servir frió. Queda mas atractivo si sirve el picante sobre unas hojas de lechuga y decora con tomate.