The Ottawa Office is MCC’s voice to the Canadian government, advocating for policies that support our work of relief, development and peacebuilding.
We also inform Canadians about political issues and how they can get involved.
Some of our work includes:
- Writing letters to government on issues such as foreign aid, mining, human rights and peacebuilding
- Presenting oral and written testimony to parliamentary committees
- Hosting an annual seminar for university students on topics such as Indigenous rights, social justice or faith and public policy
- Producing resources such as the annual Peace Sunday Packet.
- Organizing annual events like the student seminar
- Ottawa Office blog: "Feeding hope" an Advent reflection by Jennifer Wiebe Dec. 17, 2014
- Ottawa Office blog: "A light to the nations" looks at communities displaced by the advance of so-called ISIS forces in northern Iraq Dec. 10, 2014
- Ottawa Office Newsletter "Colombian churches: urgency for peace" December 2014
- Ottawa Office blog: "“Do you know?” Canada, mining and the global cry of the people" Rebekah Sears writes about the need for greater regulation on Canadian mining companies around the world. Dec. 3, 2014
- Ottawa Office blog: "How long do we wait?" Monica Scheifele links the words of the prophet Habakkuk with advent and advocacy. Nov. 26, 2014
- Research project reveals tensions about MCC's advocacy work July 30, 2014